Lenten challenge updateBy
Just a quick update on the Lenten challenge as I’ve had a few questions about how it went. So here’s the skinny on that:
- I completed the challenge as promised: I trained every day.
- I worked hard on the interval training and it paid off. My conditioning definitely improved. Here’s an example of that interval training.
- The same goes for my flexibility: much better again. My students don’t like it that much though. Seems they don’t appreciate me kicking them in the face with enthusiasm … (Party poopers!)
- As a result, my kicking techniques also improved. I’m not 100% happy but the improvement is definitely there.
And now for the bad part:
The hamstring injury I got last Summer started acting up about a six weeks ago, just when I was cranking up the training some more. When I did a Tabata session then, I had to stop about halfway through because it felt like I would pull that hamstring. As a result, I have had to stick to sub-maximum intensity training. Which is fun too but not what I wanted to work on. It’s also not a good preparation for the Tabata protocol benchmark. So even if my conditioning has definitely improved, it’s not what I want it to be. There’s also no point in videotaping another Tabata session if I can’t complete it without injury. So here’s the plan:
- I’m working with a therapist to get the hamstring back in shape. The progress is good but we’re not there yet.
- I’m trying to push as hard as I can without worsening the injury. Sounds easy but it’s more difficult than you might think. One mistake and things get worse…
- As soon as I can do a Tabata session pain free, I’ll make the video I promised so you can see the difference with the first one.
So for those who asked: I haven’t forgotten. My aging body just messed up my plans a bit and caused a delay. But as I promised, you’ll still get another video of me suffering through a Tabata session on the heavy bag. :-)